Thursday, July 30, 2009

2009 Nationals, Bend, OR






Good times. Jenette always said this to me - on some crazy road trips. I like the phrase. This has been a road trip - my 2nd time in OR. The first time I brought the women's team I had out for the Mt Hood stage race. Getting athletes/people to events - to give them experience, is something I do. I was lucky in my life to travel alot - and the adventures enabled me to grow in so many ways.
I am here with the juniors I coach and today was a BIG day. I don't think I have ever seen Steven Black SO happy. Ever. His smile was like he smile I saw from Kevin Gottlieb in KY - when we brought him a birthday cake - and everyone in the cafeteria sang him happy Birthday. It is these moments you are just so amazed to be a part of. To be alive and to witness the sheer joy of life being lived. To say I am proud of my boys is not enough. Man am I ever. We went to the Cascade Lakes Brewery and celebrated. I have determined the Deschutes brewery is the best beer in Bend. More coasters for my collection.
Congratulations Nate Wilson on 2nd and Steven Black on 3rd. To the parents, the support staff of the many sponsors - thanks!! It feels good. And I know there is so much more to come. This may be the most exciting. Tomorrow is the time trials - they start @ 11:04, Nate goes last @ 12:32. It is a hard time trial course - UP hill and then down. I rode it with Steven Kendall today - taking it easy - and we were doing about 50kmph all the way in - hitting 70km for parts of it. So hard on the way out. Good course for all my guys really.
I also met Pierre's parents for the first time - Sandy and Romeo. I was scared!! and I am almost 50 - to meet the parents. They are fantastic people. I am spending all next week post Nats up in Mt Hood - maybe learn how to windsurf - with Pierre's family. Pierre's family all of them are QUITE the athletes. Should be fun. I know there is one ice cream stand I will be back at in downtown Mt Hood.
Really super day and I cannot wait for it to begin tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment